Monday, May 3, 2010

BROWNIES ~ A GUEST POST BY H


I thought it would be wonderful if I could get my grandson to do a guest post while I get busy somewhere else. Lucky for me he was more than willing.

And it's a good thing he can bake and cook ~ even at the tender age of ten. And he isn't the only one. S can too while N is the creative writer and artist and Z is simply the baby. 

This is a little bit of art by them...mostly by N, the creative writer and artist ~ 



And I've only just realized that H, N and S have this great funny blog called Poptropical Adventures :D

Here is a video that I just have to share with you because I think it's quite brilliant....It's an ad for a special edition of  their comic strip series, Zo and Boe Spytime. The creator is N and the special effects are by H ~ Did I say they are creative?



My very lovely daughter, a super multi-tasker, not only home schools her children but she has, amazingly, taught them to cook and bake as well. Amoung a gazillion other things of course. 

My super talented and enthusiastic grandson H is only 10, the third of the 4 children, but he bakes like a pro (in my eyes). He plays soccer like a pro too (like his awesome dad). He's very, very smart, tooooo cute, very athletic and has an absolutely quirky sense of humour and will be going on to grade 5 this September (thoroughly my type of man). 

A few days ago H sent me an email all the way from the US informing me that he has grown a beard! A pair of disbelieving eyebrows and a scroll down later I saw the attached photo of himself ~ with a beard! Painted generously on! He looked totally weird. Suffice to say that I seriously cracked up and it took a whiley while before I got back together again (with a lot of help from all the King's men and all the King's horses), I gathered myself up and continued life.

While H played Spiderman.


Without further ado, let me introduce you to H, my sweetly funny and gloriously talented grandson with a recipe for some very, very, very delish brownies!


"Take it from here dearie" ..........
  
( Aside: being endlessly proud of H as I am I might also add that H is a great writer so this is H's write up verbatim. I know his mom and dad are dying to see what he has written :) Please do take time to read the recipe as well. You've got to love that sense of humour. 

Brownie photos courtesy of my grandkids.

 Hello everyone! 

this is actually my first time typing down a recipe. and I'm not Zurin. gasp. Well grandma let me make a post, and I think I'll introduce myself to you before I start writing down anything like recipes or anything. I'm a kid you know, so I can't reveal my full name, so just call me H. I'm Zurin's grandson. 

Now don't start thinking this is my first time ever baking, because I made many things before, cookies, pizza, shortbread, pancakes, and more! But the thing is, I don't want to be a chef, I just bake for the fun of it. Well, that is, if you think it's fun. I like the computer a lot more than baking, and I want to be a computer scientist in college, just like my mom was.
     
Well, let's get started baking! I found this recipe from allrecipes.com and I find it to be very easy. I already made it more than five times before. one of those times, we didn't have enough egg. so I think I used cornstarch with water as a substitute. And obviously, as I now know, it grew hard. but they were eatable. so please make sure you have eggs when you make this! Well, now to the recipe:
 

Yield: 24 brownies

Ingredients

1 oz (4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate)
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup flour
*1 cup chopped pecans

preheat oven to 350. line a 13"x9" pan with aluminum foil. Place chocolate and butter in medium or large sized microwaveable bowl. push the butter's wraps aside, you'll need it later. Melt the butter and chocolate in microwave as soon as you see the butter melting (about 2 minutes). take it out and stir until chocolate is melted. then add sugar and stir well. then add eggs. then add flour and pecans. stir well. 

Hey, remember those butter wraps? well go ahead and get them....taps foot....Oh you're back! well wipe those wraps over the lined pan you lined earlier (grease the pan). Put the batter in the pan and smoothen it out. place in the oven and bake 30-35 minutes. bake it until when you stick a toothpick in it, it comes out clean or with fudgy crumbs on it. let it cool on a cooling rack for five minutes, then cut it. Scrumptious, delicious, crumby, fudgy, chewy delights will tempt you to take more when they touch your taste buds.

Although I have mentioned that I will be closing comments for the time being, however, for this very, very special post I will be opening the comment form just in case you all have something really, really sweet to say to H;). H will reply to you if you have any questions about the recipe too.


Thank you dearie for the most beautiful post in my world ~ 

Love & hugs 
Grandma

29 comments:

Federica Simoni said...

wow che delizia!! bellissimo questo post! un abbraccio!

Quinn said...

Zu, having seen you in person, I still refuse you have a grandchild 10 years old and not just one, but 4! The brownies look amazingly good! Who would have thought a 10 years old kiddo can bake as well as you! Nenek borek, cucu rintik!

Elin Chia said...

Hi H...you are just like your grandma Zurin..clever in baking and can write well for a ten year old too. Just very like the grandma :)) Thanks for sharing these lovely brownies. Keep up the good baking and I know you want to be like your mom...do share more with us ya.

To Zurin,
you must be proud of H :) Hope to see you around. We miss you :)

3 hungry tummies said...

This is such an enjoyable post! He is as talented as you are :)

Angie's Recipes said...

So H is a sportman too! The brownies are one of my all-time favourites! H is definitely a great baker.

Kathleen said...

Oh my gosh this is adorable. I love to hear about kids learning to cook and bake and the fact that they're enjoying it.

Allie and Pattie said...

H, you'd like my house- 5 boys and they all love sports and computers! And a few of them LOVE to cook. Great job on your first ever post! Tell your grandma we miss her- she's a VERY cool lady.
xoxo Pattie

Faida said...

Such a sweet 10yrs old.
Ok sweetheart, I will make sure I have eggs when I bake them.LOL..!! That was a fun post to read.

Dominique said...

I'ts surely so nice to cook with grandchildren!!! I'll be grandmother for the first time in august (a boy...)only 4 month more to wait! The brownie recipe is amazing, congratulations to your grandchild!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Zurin, this is the best guest post I have ever read in my life! H is just precious, and funny, and so talented. He is gonna be the one to watch. ;)
To Juli: if there was a supermom award, you have my vote.

Pam said...

Zurin, Your daughter is a SUPERMOM! You did a great job with her, and it looks as though she's done a great job with H. He's too funny! Tapping foot? Ha!And the cartoon picture, How did he do that? I guess I need a few computer lessons and a few brownies. Wish they were neighbors!
Pam

petite nyonya said...

What a really cute post! The brownies look great...can't believe a 10 yr old made those. H is talented and I can tell how proud you are of him. Well done, H!!

ann low said...

WOW Zurin! H is a superboy, bakes well and plays well too. The brownies look great! Hope to see more of his posts ;)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Zurin,I am so glad you've decided to open comments for this. H- way to go! I enjoy reading your guest post tremendously and I agree with your grandma that you have a great sense of humour. I know you don't intend to be a chef but please do not stop baking - it may come in handy one day when you want to impress that/those special person/people in your life!

And oh, the comic strip by N is equally brilliant! You are really talented! Don't stop drawing and thinking up stories...!

H said...

Elin said...

Hi H...you are just like your grandma Zurin..clever in baking and can write well for a ten year old too. Just very like the grandma :)) Thanks for sharing these lovely brownies. Keep up the good baking and I know you want to be like your mom...do share more with us ya.

yea, I will. I'll be workinmg on another post.

H- way to go! I enjoy reading your guest post tremendously and I agree with your grandma that you have a great sense of humour. I know you don't intend to be a chef but please do not stop baking - it may come in handy one day when you want to impress that/those special person/people in your life!

ok

Linda said...

Wow...this is the sweetest post I have seen in almost forever.
I am smiling so hard my face hurts!


Zu...no surprise that you have such talented kids and grandkids...:)

H...you rock! I also have a son who loves to cook. He does not bake yet.
Awesome looking brownies. I will give him your recipe, maybe he will give them a go!

L~xo

fimere said...

c'est un régal ils ont l'air délicieux bravo
bonne soirée

Unknown said...

Zurin you have every right to be proud. It was lovely meeting your grandson. Thanks for the delicious brownies.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe H!



....wawa

Deana Sidney said...

Starting them early, great idea, Zurin... those look like great brownies!

2 Stews said...

What a sweet life and family you have! All personality and talent. I see it runs in the family....and I like his choice of food. Brownies are my favorite and the pics are perfect. Did I mention the video and comic strip...gush...gush. Just the best.

Thanks, Zurin!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

How very cool Zurin! What a great writer he is and I'm sure he will go on the make you very proud! :)

H said...

Linda Said:

H...you rock! I also have a son who loves to cook. He does not bake yet.
Awesome looking brownies. I will give him your recipe, maybe he will give them a go!

yea cool, he should try

Anon said:

Thank you for the recipe H!

your welcome

pigpigscorner said...

awww..that's so sweet! So talented like you Zurin!

Trissa said...

H is hilarious! This is the first post I've seen guested by a grandson and you know what - I like his writing style - so open and engaging - I hope to see more of his writing soon.... and next time, hope he uses eggs! ha!

Percicilan said...

Wahhh like the malays say... di mana tumpah kuah kalau tak ke nasi... budak ni following closely the footsteps of his opah,no?
Sweet boy!

chow and chatter said...

this has to be the cutest post ever and yummy brownies
my parents are visiting from Scotland its wonderful to see my lil daughter with her grandparents much love Rebecca

Zurin said...

Thank you lovely ladies for your comments. My grandson was very excited looking at all your comments Im sure. I beleive he has replied to some of them. you have all been such an encouragement to H and he is cooking more than ever!!!!! :))))

Zurin said...

Hi Sophie, actually i am disabling comments for the time being....temporarily...ive been so busy that I find that I cant reply to all teh comments by all you lovely and kind ladies. And that makes me feel really bad.....until i find the time i will have to keep the comment form closed temporarily. but its so kind of u to ask :))))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails